Your Name and Title: Jo Kay - Director, jokaydia.com / Facilitator of Fun on the Massively @ jokaydia Minecraft Server

Organization or School Name: jokaydia.com

Area of the World from Which You Will Present: Australia

Language in Which You Will Present: English

Target Audience(s): Parents/Educators interested in Games-Based Learning and Creativity

Short Session Description: This session explores the ways Minecraft can be used to support kids creativity, assist them in developing digital literacy skills and encourage them to develop their own personal learning networks.  

Full Session Description: Massively @ jokaydia is a Minecraft-based community for kids aged 4 – 16years, and has a community of more than 600 players from around the world, including a large cohort of homeschooled students, 

The Massively community has a focus on informal, playful learning and is designed to empower kids and parents to choose their own learning pathways and adventures together. It is not a school-based project, but rather a safe environment where kids can choose to engage in projects and activities which allow them to develop digital literacy and collaboration skills and most importantly be free to explore their creativity in a multiplayer environment which is fun, engaging and safe.

Our project also supports a ‘gamified’ awards system which allows kids to complete missions and challenges and ‘level up’ to gain access to additional features and environments in our mines, and most importantly to take on leadership roles in the community. These include facilitation positions as jnr moderators and technical roles as assistant server administrators who help with support and planning. 

This session will demonstrate how Minecraft can be used to provide an exciting learning environment for kids which fosters their creativity, supports social learning and the development of digital literacy skills, and can be used across a wide range of key learning areas including math, science, art, creative writing, history, personal development, technology and citizenship. 

Websites / URLs Associated with Your Session: 

You need to be a member of startingtohomeschool to add comments!

Join startingtohomeschool

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hi Lori! 

This session is on Fri, 23 August, 18:00 – 19:00 (US-Eastern Daylight Savings Time). I've made an Event Time Announcer to make it easier to figure it out locally. ;) 

• Hey Jo.. I'm having such troubles on figuring out just 'when' your presentation is taking place.. I will look around yet again, but maybe someone could respond here and share the date and time specifically so I don't miss out on this?

Thanks!

Minecraft mom and learning consultant: Luvmykids

This reply was deleted.